Get 5% off all DIY when you buy 2 or more products in our range!
Simply use DIY5OFF during checkout.
Excludes Grolsch style glass bottles and some bulky items.
Make Coconut Yoghurt that is bursting with a delicious coconut flavour coupled with tangy beneficial live cultures. Each spoonful will send you off on a relaxing journey to the tropics.
Great to use on your morning muesli, smoothie, or whenever you need a moment in paradise.
Mad Millie Coconut Yoghurt contains live culture that are ready to help you create a delicious, dairy-free coconut yoghurt. Our live Acidophilus and Bifidobacterium don't just make for tasty coconut yoghurt but they're great for you too!
The Mad Millie Coconut Yoghurt Kit contains all the specialised ingredients and equipment to make dairy-free coconut yoghurt at home. It is the perfect kit for beginners and those who love to make food from scratch.
This kit makes up to 8L of Coconut Yoghurt - Original or Chocolate - and also includes recipes on how to use your Coconut Yoghurt, such as in a Chia Seed Pudding and a Coconut Yoghurt Smoothie recipe.
Dairy-Free – No Artificial Flavours – Live Cultures – No Preservatives
- 6 Ingredients & supplies to make your own Coconut Yoghurt
- 30 minutes hands-on time
- Kit makes 10 batches (8 kg/17 lb) of Coconut yoghurt before refills are required
To give your cultures the best chance of success they need to be kept nice and warm overnight. The Mad Millie Culturing Flask is the perfect sidekick to this kit and makes fermenting that much easier!
Ingredients: 3.5 oz Thickener (tapioca starch, maltodextrin (corn), guar gum); Freeze-dried yoghurt cultures (5x sachets - freeze-dried lactic bacteria).
Mad Millie Coconut Yoghurt contains active bacteria strains Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, Bifidobacterium lactis and Lactobacillus acidophilus.
- 1L Glass Jar
- Dairy-Free Yoghurt Culture
The yoghurt culture is shelf stable for 8 months at temperatures under 25 degrees Celsius. However, we suggest storing cultures in the freezer when you get them in order to prolong the life of the culture. The culture contains a very small amount of dairy.
Coconut yoghurt is a great creamy dairy alternative.
You will need:
- 800 ml (27 US fl oz) (or 2 standard 400 ml (13.5 US fl oz) cans) of coconut milk or cream (needs to be at least 17 g/100 ml (0.6 oz/3.4 US fl oz) fat)
- 1 heaped Tbsp of thickener
- 2 Tbsp raw sugar (optional, but makes it taste much nicer and helps the culture thicken the yoghurt faster)
- 1/2 sachet yoghurt culture (NOTE: 1 sachet can be used for up to 2 L (2 US qt) of coconut cream, but over culturing does not hurt)
- 1 L (1 US qt) glass jar with lid
- Small pot
- Stirring spoon
- Sterilise your jar, small pot, thermometer and spoon with boiling water.
- Pour the coconut milk into your small pot, and mix until it is smooth and uniform.
- Heat the coconut milk to 50-55°C (122-131°F) on medium heat while stirring constantly to avoid any scorching.
- Mix the thickener and sugar in a cup. Pour out 1/2 cup of coconut milk from the pot, and mix into the dry ingredients. Use a fork to mix vigorously for about 30 seconds. Remember to keep checking that the liquid remaining in the pot is not scorching on the bottom of the pot during this time.
- Immediately add this coconut milk with thickener mixture back to the saucepan and stir in well.
- Heat the coconut milk under medium heat (up to 75°C/167°F) until the mixture has started to thicken. Transfer to your sterilised jar straight away.
- Cool the milk to 40°C (104°F) by putting your jar in a cold water bath in the sink and then stir in the yoghurt culture.
- Leave in a warm place (around 35-40°C/95-104°F), and allow the yoghurt to ferment overnight for 15-20 hours.
- In the morning check the yoghurt is slightly sour and thick. If it does not yet have a sour tang, continue to ferment for a further 5 hours before checking again. Once ready, place in the fridge until chilled.
The yoghurt will thicken even more once chilled and will become thicker over the next few days.
- Coconut yoghurt can be stored for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Coconut yoghurt can be sweetened to taste using honey, sugar or sweetener of choice. If your coconut yoghurt separates, simply stir before serving.
Chocolate Coconut Yoghurt
A chocolatey treat enjoyed anytime. We recommend using a high quality, minimally processed raw cacao powder for maximum nutritional and flavour benefits.
Follow the steps for coconut yoghurt but add 2 heaped Tbsp of raw cacao powder during Step 2 before heating the coconut milk in Step 3.
Coconut Chia Seed Pudding
A delicious coconut breakfast, dessert or snack which is very quick and easy to prepare and enjoyable any time of the day. This also keeps for up to 2 days when sealed in a container and stored in the refrigerator.
You will need:
- 3 heaped Tbsp of whole chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 ml (3.4 US fl oz) low-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp homemade coconut yoghurt
- Fresh or frozen berries, sliced banana, and unsweetened desiccated coconut to serve
- Place the chia seeds in a glass jar and top with the coconut milk, until the seeds are fully submerged.
- Stir well and leave in the fridge overnight until the chia seeds swell and set.
- Stir again when the seeds have absorbed the coconut milk.
- Top up with coconut yoghurt, berries, banana, and desiccated coconut
About Mad Millie
Mad Millie is a young Kiwi company with a passion and love for all things delicious and handcrafted. We also love to share our passion with you by giving you the opportunity to do this yourself at home.
We're famous for our cheese making kits which allow you to make an array of gourmet cheeses such as feta, cheddar, halloumi, mozzarella, Camembert and more, as well as including making butter! Homemade cheese is something we want to prove can be done in your kitchen with your own hands! Plus they make fantastic gifts too.
We don't stop there though. What better way to accompany your gourmet cheese than with homemade sausages, cider, beer, yoghurt and more. Our Fresh Sausage Kit is packed with homemade sausage making recipes, our Boutique Brewery Kits allow you to make refreshing cider or beer to help quench your thirst and we look after you too with kits such as Greek Yoghurt and Kefir that are full of healthy benefits!
The beauty of making things yourself is that you know exactly what goes in it, you can avoid nasty additives and you can make it just how you like it! Don't just take our word for it though we've had others tell us how much they enjoy our kits too.
We've made it easy, quick and provided you with anything specialised, so why don't you give it a try!